Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Fancy Folds

I have been playing around with cards made with different folds. I guess they could also be called pop-out cards as well.

The front of this card is layered with a swiss dots embossed layer, a rectangle cut from DCMV card, a tag stamped Happy Birthday (stamp from Montarga) and the piece cut from the card used for the inside of the card which I edged with fired brick distress ink and stamped with a little flower. The embellishment at the bottom is a bottletop run through the Cuttlebug - yes the Cuttlebug and the A plate and 2 B plates. I stress that you need to use a new bottle top for this - it folds the edges back beautifully. I coloured it with a gold Paint Dabber by Adirondack.  The centre is a flower stamped with fired brick distress ink and punched with a 1" circle punch.




The inside of the card was cut a little smaller than the outer, folded in half then  spellbinders label die used to cut the shape from the centre of the card. (That was used on the front of the card!) I cut a piece of contrasting card to attach behind the cut out piece and 3 smaller labels to make the floating piece - 2 red and 1 cream. I attached these to the foldout layer with a piece of gold braid that was glued to the centre fold on the inside of the pop out layer. Finished off the inside with gold corner peeloffs.





The second card is based on a card I saw in an SVG Cuts file (Peony Cottage). I cut and embossed the hole in the front of the card using a labels die from Spellbinders then used the cut area to trace the cut required for the underneath layer.

I then used a strip embossing folder to embossed the flowers along the bottom of the card. Faded Jeans distress ink was swiped over the embossed strip.

I cut 2 of the same sized labels from some paper in my stash and distress with Faded Jeans distress ink then cut a smaller label from cream card and again coloured that with Faded Jeans DI.  The sentiment is from my favourite Hero Arts sentiments set.




To make the inside of the card, I traced half of the die cut shape along a fold a quarter of the way into the card so that it fitted into the cut out area of the front piece. The centre fold is opposite to that of the front layer so that it pops out.

The little girls stamp is from Crafty Individuals which I masked after stamping then added Sue Law's dotty stamp for the background and sponged some faded jeans on to simulate a sky.

These two cards are just some that I have been playing with over the last few days. Fun to do!

1 comment:

Zoechaos said...

You really have done a great job with these not just clever folds but beautiful colours and images. XOXO Zoe